Enjoy the Struggles that come from Weakness
So, I realized the other day that I've been on a mission for around 15 months now. What was more shocking to me, however, is that I've sent probably aroujd 10 weekly emails haha.
SO, from last email I've been transfered and am now in a really nice part of our mission called Atascocita. The ward is awesome! It reminds me a lot of where I'm from in Ladera Ranch, all the members fulfill their callings and are more than willing to help us which is awesome! Also, one ward member told me "all the elect spirits are from California, so right on dude". Hahahah probably one of the first good comments about California here. I was really lucky and had the chance to speak in church my first Sunday in the ward hahaha. I can't complain because that's the first time I've spoken since my farewell talk.
We saw a really cool miracle this week! We haven't had a lot of time to proselyte, so the time we've spent in our area so far has just been finding. Finding in this area is tough because it's a nicer area, so we'd faced a lot of rejection these past 2 weeks. However, on Monday night a ward member in a ward my companion and I had served in called us and told us he had a referral (it was cool bc the ward member only speaks Spanish, but we're in an English area and the referral was english, but fortunately my companion and I speak Spanish... I try to, at least haha). But the person is a 15 year old boy who we were able to call. As we explained what we as missionaries do, he said "I just want to change and be a man of God". Super profound. We were able to meet with him in person and teach him about the atonement. We had another elder with us who bore a simple testimony at the end and said "Jesus Christ prayed to Our Father in Heaven in the garden of gethsemane, and asked to feel your pain". I thought it to be very profound and impactful! The boy LOVED the lesson and told us he wants to do everything he can to repent. He even came to church this Sunday! I'm repeatedly reminded as a missionary that we teach God's most precious possessions, and that we never truly find through our own efforts.
I don't want to write a super long email, but I thought I'd really quickly invite you all to write in your journals what the Spirit has taught you everyday. I've seen more growth in my mission doing that the past 3 months than the rest of my mission combined! You will learn who Jesus is by the power of the Holy Ghost.
I thought I'd close with a quick spiritual thought. I've thought a lot about the lyrics of a specific hymn lately:
"Does the journey seem long,
The path rugged and steep?
Are there briars and thorns on the way?
Do sharp stones cut your feet
As you struggle to rise
To the heights thru the heat of the day?"
Something that's been hard for me to learn on my mission is enjoying the struggles that come from my weaknesses. As I've reflected upon the struggles I've had in my mission, I've recognized that I grow most when I embrace my weaknesses with the understanding that God doesn't intend to leave them as weaknesses. For a while I went through trials feeling so inadequate and weak, which I am. But, that's not the point. I read a scripture in Isaiah which states "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." As I read this eisegetically I realized something new, because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, he knows my weaknesses. He knows the walls that impede my path, and He offers me the strength to overcome them through His atonement. I testify that because I know He did this for me, I know He did this for you. The journey of overcoming our weaknesses seems so long, but I testify that, in the perspective of eternity, it is for but a small moment. The third verse of that song is:
"Let your heart be not faint
Now the journey’s begun;
There is One who still beckons to you.
So look upward in joy
And take hold of his hand;
He will lead you to heights that are new"
Jesus Christ is my Savior and your Savior! He lives!
I love you all! God bless you all.
Comments
Post a Comment