Mission Farewell Talk

Unity Farewell Talk

What’s up? I’m really glad this is over zoom, it gives me an easy backdoor to not having to remember to “look up” during my whole talk! So I know what you are all thinking, “what far-away place is this guy going to?” I mean I’m following 3 missionaries who have their call to India, the Czech Republic and Sweden… it’s hard to compete with that. However, I think I can. I get to go to the far away land of Texas and Louissianna. Not only is my mission in the deep south, but it’s also part of the bible belt, meaning I can expect some debates from preachers from Evangelical, Methodist and Southern Baptists denominations. I’m just hoping I won’t get bashed in spanish. 

But in all seriousness, as I opened my call and read “Texas Houston East in the spanish language” I really didn’t know what to think, or feel. All I really remember was the joy that I felt knowing I’d be serving those people for the next 2 years. Plus, it was hard to be mad when my brother-in-law told me I’d be getting Cajun food, authentic Mexican food, and Texas barbecue. But in all reality, I’d been prepared to go wherever. I read a talk by Elder Bednar just days before I got my call. It’s titled “Called to the Work” and in it he states that although where we are called to serve is undoubtedly important, we must always remember we are called to serve first. I instantly remembered this as I opened my call. I don’t know why Texas is where I need to go yet, but I do know that serving the Lord is astronomically more important that anything else I could possibly do in the next two years.

As I reflect on the reason I want to serve a mission, a specific scripture comes to mind, Alma 36:24. This is the chapter where Alma the younger is telling his son, Helaman, about his conversion. I feel totally indebted to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ for providing a way for all of us to return to him. This gospel message has brought me so much joy and peace, it would be selfish of me not to show my appreciation by sharing this gift! I don’t want to digress too far off of my original topic, so I’ll just end in the far more eloquent words of Alma,  “Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.”

Ok, now onto what I’ve been assigned to speak about, unity. Unity has always been a big aspect of the gospel, however, it’s prevalence has become increasingly numerous in these times. I have no doubt that it is because unity is a hard thing to achieve normally, but with the turmoil the world is in right now, achieving unity seems nearly impossible. In a country where everywhere we go we are told to limit our interactions with others, all while the political system is increasingly “black and white” from both sides, it’s hard to feel anything close to unity. I believe the reason apostles and prophets have been increasing their message of unity in these times is because the world will no longer be unified through any worldly merit. The prophecies of mens’ hearts failing them are taking place. With no higher law in the world, unity is impossible, however, we have a way to unite despite any worldly issues. 

In John 16:33 it states, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” The only true way to find unity is in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ and his atonement allows us to overcome all barriers, whether it is an outer appearance, a political affiliation, or previous actions. For the rest of this talk, I’ll briefly address unity in 3 aspects of our lives. First, unity as members of the church, second, unity as families, and lastly unity with God.

I’m sure many of you noticed how many talks were on unity in the last conference, and I would like to give my own personal perspective as to why unity is being called for. Our doctrine teaches the godhead is 3 distinct beings, but one in purpose. Meaning God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit have differences in natures, but their purpose makes them one. Just like in every other aspect of the gospel, we should follow the example of Jesus. As members of the church, we are all different. Distinct in our own ways, whether physically, mentally, or spiritually, we’re all on different plains with different perspectives on life. However, the purpose of the church, among many things, is to bring souls unto the knowledge of their redeemer. We must learn to all see these differences, and not have it detract from our purpose. Jesus prayed for this, as John 17:21 states, “That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.”

In a talk given by Elder William K. Jackson this last conference, he articulated that, “We can cherish the best of our individual earthly cultures and be full participants in the eternal culture that comes from Jesus Christ”. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is in 160 countries, being taught in 178 languages. Though there are many differences between many different cultures, we are encouraged to celebrate our differences and to be able to recognize that we all have 1 amazing similarity. We are all children of the Supreme Creator. Differences is a reason to rejoice, for though all our pasts are different, we have all come to feel the love our Savior has for each of us. Just as the Savior accepts everyone, we must learn to accept all. The Savior’s atonement is infinite in coverage, but also personal in depth. We should not shy away from sharing this joyous message with others because of perceived differences, for Jesus didn’t choose to suffer for just those who were like him. I would encourage all to become close with those new to the church, or ward, and to seek to build your testimony through sharing your experiences with the gospel to each other. 

To be unified as a family is a task that, more often than not, is easier said than done. Though I wish I could talk about my personal experiences with drawing close to my family and living perfectly harmonious with them, my own personal weakness prohibits that. This aspect, however, is crucial to creating a loving environment at home. In looking at the example of Nephi and his family, we are able to see how crucial being united as a family unit is. Some of Lehi’s last recorded words to his sons are on being unified. In 2 Nephi 1:21 it reads “And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity”. Through the ups and downs of travelling in the wilderness with his family, Lehi is able to see that the true problems came from disunity. Almost every other chapter in 1 Nephi is about Laman and Lemuel murmuring against Nephi, Sam, and Lehi. Though we may go through struggles as a family, if we are united together, we will be able to conquer all things. Families are one of the most important aspects of the gospel, with the family being ordained of God. I believe this is because a family knit with unity and love provides individuals a refuge from the storms of life. When we are bombarded with temptations, trials, and all manner of afflictions, having a family to rely on constantly will provide support, and an environment that allows us to have the spirit dwell in our homes. 

My family will tell you that I am one of the main culprits for contention in my home, and they may or may not be right. Through my experience with at-home MTC, however, I have been able to see how important families are in our lives. Though the timing isn’t the best time to realize this, as I leave in just over a week, I have come to see that some of the best memories I have, even in my teenage years, have been with my family. If I could give advice to my 13 year old self, I would tell myself to enjoy the small moments with my family, as those are the moments that really stick out to me now. Friends come and go, but our families are here for eternity, so don’t miss an opportunity to make more memories with them. I would challenge all to focus less on being right, and more on creating a loving environment in the home.

I’ll make this last point as brief as I can, as the MTC has taught me that our attention spans on a zoom call really are not long at all. That being said, unity with God is arguably the most important thing I will discuss today. In 2 Nephi, we learn the Lord speakers in “plainness”. What I love so much about this, is it applies to both plainness and planeness. He not only speaks words that are plain and simple so we can understand them, but he speaks words that are on our level. 

One of the best examples of this is the story of the woman caught in adultery. Though this story has many take-aways to how we should treat our fellow men, it also displays how Jesus treats each of us. When the men had stones in their hand, ready to cast their judgment, Jesus stoops down and writes in the dirt. He then tells them, “he who is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her”. He then continues to write in the dirt, at her level. He could have easily just stayed standing above her as he told them off. He didn’t need to go down to her level, but he did. Jesus made it a priority to be on her plane. When we receive personal revelation, it won’t just be easy to understand, but it will be on our level of spirituality. 

Everyone is on a different plane of spirituality, so we will all receive different promptings. It is of the utmost importance that when we feel the spirit prompting us to do something extra, or to not do something, we follow it. Thus we will continually try to be unified with how God desires us to act. This really came to life to me in the MTC. As I talked to some of the missionaries in my district, some things they felt the spirit had told them were ok were things that I felt I shouldn’t do, or vice versa. As I pondered why the spirit would tell different answers I realize how personally Christ knows us. I was overcome with the knowledge that Christ was on each of our planes as he told us things we should or shouldn’t do. We must be unified with God, so the spirit can teach us whatsoever we should do. Thus we will be able to be obedient to the Lord, but not run faster than we have strength.

I would recommend every day, checking in with how you followed the commandments and counsellings of the Lord. None of us are perfect, and that’s ok. Though we try our hardest, we fail to keep simple commandments sometimes, thus becoming disunified with God. The purpose of the atonement is not only to forgive times we sin and become disunified, but to help us to grow to better ourselves and unity with the Lord. When we are constantly checking in on how we are doing, and where we can improve, we are not only showing the Lord we want to continually improve, but we are creating ways that help us get better, faster. 

I’ll now conclude with a little bit more of an elaboration of why I want to serve a mission. I haven’t always had a super strong testimony of this church, or even Jesus Christ for that matter. In fact, if it weren’t for miracles in timing from the Lord, and a couple really amazing people, I’m not certain I would be talking to you guys here. I have come to a knowledge of this church, and have had many fantastic, sacred experiences to reinforce my belief. Though I am only 18 years old and have much to learn, I have come to the sure knowledge that Jesus Christ’s atonement is infinite in many aspects. It is infinite in coverage, it goes to all aspects of our lives, whether personal pains, or pains we feel from others. It is infinite in power, there is nothing that feels too terrible that Jesus hasn’t felt. It is infinite in depth, there is nothing we can do that Jesus hasn’t atoned for. It is infinite in love, his love and empathy for us cannot be quantified, for it is never ending. Finally, it is infinite in blessings bestowed, as forgiveness is a gift granted to us every mistake we make. All of these infinites, but the most amazing part of the atonement is that it is personal. Jesus Christ knows you. He feels for you. He loves you. Though Jesus never personally went through many of our issues today, he knows exactly what we feel. Whether it is the loss of a loved one, seeing the pains and afflictions of those you love, going through a hard time in life and feeling alone, cancer, divorse, sins. All of it is covered by Jesus.

There have been times in my own life where I simply felt lost. I’ve felt like my prayers were only reaching as high as the ceiling (also known as ceiling bouncers). I’ve felt like life has become too much, like I was just exhausted and unable to fulfill or accomplish anything. I’ve felt guilt, I’ve felt ashamed. Probably the worst of all, I’ve felt alone. However, I know Jesus is there. He is always there. He loves me, and all of you, undoubtedly, unmistakably, unconditionally, and unfathomably. Though we go through trials seemingly alone, we must always remember that we have a Savior holding us up every step of the way. He knows our limits, our strength, and he knows we can do all things, as long as we are meek enough to receive strength through him.

In a world where everywhere we turn there are trials for us to overcome, it is absolutely crucial for us to understand that the atonement is there for us. There is literally nothing Jesus can’t help you with, for there is nothing he hasn’t felt. Though I am not going to some far-away corner of the world, where the gospel has not been taught, I am positive there are people in Houston who haven’t heard about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Some may not even know who Jesus is, or why he is significant. I want to share my knowledge and testimony with all of these people, so as to help them see there is a purpose to this struggle. That through the savior we are able to face life’s storms boldly, and overcome all that is against us. I want to bring others to the tree of life, by showing them the way to the iron rod. I want them to taste the joy I have come to feel constantly in my life. I am honored to join the Armies of Helaman, to bring the world His truth. I’ll now try my hardest to bear my testimony in spanish… I wish I wrote this out.

Expiación, Jesucristo, el libro de mormon, el espíritu santo. En el nombre de Jesucristo, amén.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome home Elder Jones

Baptism Date!

Houston Temple